- Get adequate rest.
- Maintain a good diet and exercise.
- Be good to yourself and schedule time for leisure activities.
- Try to maintain your regular schedule but recognize you may not always follow through.
- Share your feelings with friends and family members who can be supportive.
- Remember, the event may preoccupy your mind.
- Contact your EAP if you need additional assistance or information about trauma.
- Abuse alcohol or drugs to block out the painful memories.
- Isolate yourself from friends, co-workers and family.
- Stay away from work.
- Set a time line for recovery.
- Expect a complex problem to have a simple solution.
- Make major life changes or decisions at this time.
- Be hard on yourself or others.